Year 1 pupils…
Welcome back! We hope you have all had a wonderful Easter break and are ready for the Summer term!
Summer Term – Important People Around the World
Please see our year group overview or subject overviews on the school website for more detail. As well as English, Phonics and Maths, these are some of the ways we are exploring ‘Important People Around the World’ through our subjects:
- Art: Creating sculptures using a variety of materials including clay, marshmallows with cocktail sticks, spoons with elastic bands and bread dough!
- Computing: Coding, Spreadsheets and Technology Outside of School.
- Design Technology: Discovering where our food comes from and following recipes that involve measuring in cups.
- Geography: locating the seven continents, recognising and comparing human and physical features before focusing on how we can protect our oceans.
- History: Important people over time and how they have contributed to national and international achievements.
- Music: Continuing with Charanga we will be exploring ‘Your imagination’ and ‘Reflect, Rewind and Replay’.
- PE: Dance, Gymnastics, Games and Athletics.
- PSHE: Continuing with Jigsaw we will be exploring ‘Relationships’ and ‘Changing Me’.
- RE: Places of worship and belonging.
- Science: Plants-we are going to identify, name and label common plants, recognise deciduous and evergreen trees and will be observing growth over time. After half term we will be moving into Sound.
Each half term you will receive a homework grid. This gives you some ideas of activities you can do with your child at home which will contribute to their learning in school. Please choose one activity to do each week. You can complete the task in your child’s homework book or on Google Classroom. Homework will be looked at each Thursday. Please ensure that your child has their Reading Books every day.
Please remember to leave PE kits at school throughout the week. One session a week is outside so please ensure your child has velcro trainers or plimsolls and spare socks in their bag as well as PE trousers or leggings as we are still having some cold weather.
Please ensure all these items, as well as school uniform, are named. See the school Uniform Policy for more information.
For safety reasons, we tape over earrings, so if your child wears earrings, you may prefer to remove them on PE days. PE lessons will take place on Mondays and Thursdays.
Please ensure that cardigans, jumpers and coats are clearly marked with your child’s name. It is important that your child has a coat with a hood for playing outside as well as for outdoor lessons. Shoes should be suitable for running and climbing outside- no open toed shoes or lace ups (unless they can tie their own laces!); velcro fastening shoes are easiest for the children to change independently. If your child wears earrings, please make sure they are studs, for safety reasons.
Bringing Items from Home
Children are not able to bring or share objects from home. Any items your child brings in their pencil case, please explain to your child that these items are just for them to use and they cannot give them to other children.
Through Facebook and our school website (https://albanwood.herts.sch.uk/classes/year-1/) you will be able to see Year 1’s learning; make sure to keep a look out as this supports your child with talking about their learning as well as providing you an opportunity, if you would like, to practise skills at home. We will only include photos of children on the blog where parents have ticked they can be included on social media.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any queries or concerns. You can reach us through Google Classroom, through the contact form on Year 1’s page on the school website or by emailing email@example.com.
Thank you very much for all your support.
Mrs Richards and Ms Czaikowska
Year 1 Oak Class Teachers