Year 1 pupils…
Welcome back! We hope you have all had a wonderful summer holiday and are ready for the new term!
Autumn Term – All About Me
Please see our year group overview or subject overviews on the school website for more detail. As well as English, Phonics and Maths, these are some of the ways we are exploring ‘All About Me’ through our subjects:
- Art: Creating self-portraits with influences from a variety of artists and media.
- Computing: Online safety and exploring Purple Mash, grouping and sorting and pictograms.
- Design Technology: Designing, making and evaluating a card with moving parts e.g. levers.
- Geography: Exploring our school using locational and directional language and fieldwork.
- History: Looking at artefacts, pictures, stories and online sources to answer questions about the past such as – what was it like for our parents/ grandparents growing up and how have toys changed over time.
- PE: Locomotion, gymnastics and dance.
- RE: Understanding different celebrations including Harvest, Diwali, Christmas, Hanukkah and Sukkot.
- Science: Exploring the human body, senses and growth before moving into forces.
Each half term you will receive a homework grid. This gives you some ideas of activities you can do with your child at home which will contribute to their learning in school. Please choose one activity to do each week and return the grid to Year 1 class each Thursday, adults please sign the task that has been completed. Please ensure your child is completing the task with their own writing. Please ensure that your child’s has their ‘Reading Folder’ every day. Library books will be changed on a Friday.
Please remember to leave PE kits at school throughout the week. One session a week is outside so please ensure your child has velcro trainers or plimsolls and spare socks in their bag.
Please ensure all these items, as well as school uniform, are named. See the school Uniform Policy for more information.
For safety reasons, we tape over earrings, so if your child wears earrings, you may prefer to remove them on PE days. PE lessons will take place on Mondays and Thursdays.
Please ensure that cardigans, jumpers and coats are clearly marked with your child’s name. It is important that your child has a coat with a hood for playing outside. Shoes should be suitable for running and climbing outside- no open toed shoes or lace ups (unless they can tie their own laces!); velcro fastening shoes are easiest for the children to change independently. If your child wears earrings, please make sure they are studs, for safety reasons.
Through Facebook and our school website you will be able to see what Year 1 is learning; make sure to keep a look out as this supports your child with talking about their learning as well as providing you an opportunity, if you would like to practise skills at home.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any queries or concerns. Thank you very much for all your support.
Mrs Richards and Mrs Rose
Year 1 Oak Class Teachers