12th March 2020
Dear Parents and Carers,
As reported cases of the coronavirus increase, we want to reassure you that we are following all the latest government and Public Health England guidelines so that we are abreast of updates at all times. Our pupils, families and staff wellbeing is our highest priority and we all need to be sensible and avoid risks, whilst ensuring we do not compromise the education of our pupils.
What is the Coronavirus?
Typical symptoms of coronavirus include fever and a cough that may progress to severe pneumonia causing shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. Generally, coronavirus can cause more severe symptoms in people with weakened immune systems, older people, and those with long-term conditions like diabetes, cancer and chronic lung disease.
There are things you can do to help stop viruses like coronavirus spreading. Do:
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze.
- put used tissues in the bin immediately See Catch it, Bin it, Kill it.
- wash your hands with soap and water often – use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available. This is particularly important after taking public transport.
- pupils, staff and visitors should wash their hands: – before leaving home – on arrival at school – after using the toilet – after breaks and sporting activities – before food preparation – before eating any food, including snacks – before leaving school
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
If you are worried about your symptoms or those of your child, please call NHS 111.
Do not go directly to your GP or other healthcare environment.
See further information on the Public Health England Blog and the NHS website has more information about how you can reduce the possible spread of infection.
Please also notify the school with all the relevant details so that we can take the appropriate action to ensure that all pupils and staff can stay safe and we minimise risks as much as possible. Unless you are told otherwise, please continue as normal in sending your child to school.
Parents should check for regular updates on:
- the School website – it has a dedicated Coronavirus Section – www.albanwood.herts.sch.uk
- the School Facebook page – www.facebook.com/albanwoodschool
- the School Twitter Feed –@albanwoodschool
Hazel Pinder Head of School