The school follows the national primary curriculum and the requirements for the early years. The school’s curriculum comprises all learning and other experiences that are planned for its pupils. The curriculum comprises the core subjects of:
and the foundation subjects:
• Art and design
• Design and technology
• Physical Education
Raising standards at Alban Wood requires focus on what we do in the classroom. Continued and sustained improvement is dependent upon improving the quality of learning and teaching that is taking place on a daily basis. At Alban Wood, the expectation is that all pupils are provided with high quality learning experiences that lead to consistently high levels of pupil achievement.
We expect every teacher to be a good teacher – no child deserves less.
By adopting a whole school approach to teaching and learning across the school, we aim:
- To provide consistency of teaching and learning across the school
- To enable teachers to teach as effectively as possible
- To promote British values
- To enable children to learn as well as possible
- To give children the skills they require to become more effective lifelong learners
- To provide an inclusive education for all children
- To learn from each other, through the adoption of a collaborative, enquiry based approach to teaching and learning, where good practice is shared
At Alban Wood we are continually striving to adapt, alter and amend the curriculum so that the pupils receive the best quality teaching and learning possible. As of the academic year 2018-2019 we redesigned the curriculum for Years 1 to 6. This curriculum is set out in themes where the children will experience different themes a year. Each theme encompasses the different subjects and links the learning under one theme title. The children should become immersed in the learning of that theme and use and apply their knowledge learnt to many different aspects of the theme. This approach also gives the children the opportunity to further and deepen their understanding in the foundation subjects as well as the core subjects.I hope that the children at Alban Wood enjoy this new way of learning and come home and talk about all the interesting activities they have been covering in there theme work.
Subject Curriculum Overviews
Year Group Overviews
The following documents give further guidance for end of year Maths expectations
At Alban Wood children in Key Stage 2 children learn French. This is in the form of both written and oral outcomes. Through French teaching and learning we aim for our pupils to:
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of
communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking
questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
- write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of
grammatical structures that they have learnt
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
All schools are also required to teach religious education – Alban Wood follows the scheme of work set by Hertfordshire. Every state-funded school must offer a curriculum which is balanced and broadly based and which:
• promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils at the school and of society
• prepares pupils at the school for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life and
• prepares pupils for life in modern day Britain, learning about British values.
The school takes opportunities to promote British Values, defined by the government as the following:
• the rule of law
• individual liberty
• mutual respect
• tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
In actively promoting British Values, we will also focus on, and be able to show how our work with pupils is effective in, embedding fundamental British values. Actively promoting also means challenging pupils, staff or parents expressing opinions contrary to fundamental British Values, including ‘extremist’ views.
Further curriculum information
This page provides a summary of our school’s curriculum, if you would like more information about the curriculum at Alban Wood please contact the school office.