The school follows the national primary curriculum and the requirements for the early years. The school’s curriculum comprises all learning and other experiences that are planned for its pupils. The curriculum comprises the core subjects of:
and the foundation subjects:
• Art and design
• Design and technology
• Physical Education
Raising standards at Alban Wood requires focus on what we do in the classroom. Continued and sustained improvement is dependent upon improving the quality of learning and teaching that is taking place on a daily basis. At Alban Wood, the expectation is that all pupils are provided with high quality learning experiences that lead to consistently high levels of pupil achievement.
We expect every teacher to be a good teacher – no child deserves less.
By adopting a whole school approach to teaching and learning across the school, we aim:
- To provide consistency of teaching and learning across the school
- To enable teachers to teach as effectively as possible
- To promote British values
- To enable children to learn as well as possible
- To give children the skills they require to become more effective lifelong learners
- To provide an inclusive education for all children
- To learn from each other, through the adoption of a collaborative, enquiry based approach to teaching and learning, where good practice is shared
Subject Curriculum Overviews
- PSHE and British Values (378KB)
- Computing Curriculum Overview (178KB)
- Geography Curriculum Overview (170KB)
- History Curriculum Overview (171KB)
- Science Curriculum Overview (194KB)
- Mathematics Curriculum Overview (218KB)
- English Curriculum Overview (173KB)
- Music Curriculum Overview (174KB)
- Art Curriculum Overview (172KB)
- Early Years Themes (167KB)
Year Group Overviews
- Year 6 Curriculum (190KB)
- Year 5 Curriculum (185KB)
- Year 4 Curriculum (192KB)
- Year 3 Curriculum (195KB)
- Year 2 Curriculum (195KB)
- Year 1 Curriculum (204KB)
- Early Years Curriculum (167KB)
The following documents give further guidance for end of year Maths expectations
- Year 6 Maths learner (43KB)
- Year 5 Maths learner (41KB)
- Year 4 Maths learner (42KB)
- Year 3 Maths learner (49KB)
- Year 2 Maths learner (32KB)
- Year 1 Maths learner (28KB)
At Alban Wood children in Key Stage 2 children learn French. This is in the form of both written and oral outcomes. Through French teaching and learning we aim for our pupils to:
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of
communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking
questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
- write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of
grammatical structures that they have learnt
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
All schools are also required to teach religious education – Alban Wood follows the scheme of work set by Hertfordshire. Every state-funded school must offer a curriculum which is balanced and broadly based and which:
• promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils at the school and of society
• prepares pupils at the school for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life and
• prepares pupils for life in modern day Britain, learning about British values.
The school takes opportunities to promote British Values, defined by the government as the following:
• the rule of law
• individual liberty
• mutual respect
• tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
In actively promoting British Values, we will also focus on, and be able to show how our work with pupils is effective in, embedding fundamental British values. Actively promoting also means challenging pupils, staff or parents expressing opinions contrary to fundamental British Values, including ‘extremist’ views.
Phonics, spelling and reading
Children in the Early Years have daily phonics sessions following a synthetic approach to the teaching of phonics. Practitioners plan and deliver sessions that are visual, auditory and kinaesthetic. Children in Nursery and Reception visit our school library once a week and select a book to take home.
Children in Y1 have daily phonics sessions and children in Y2 have 4 x weekly sessions. These are differentiated by phonics phase and follow Letters and Sounds. Homework tasks are often linked to phonics to enable children to apply their phonics and to enable parents to support with development of phonics. Phonics workshops for parents are provided. Children in KS1, as with children in Early Years, also visit our library once a week and select a book to take home. In addition to this children read books from our reading scheme which is mainly resourced through Oxford Reading Tree. We also use Project X to support children who need additional support with the development of reading and phonics.
Children in KS2 have grammar sessions which include the teaching of spelling patterns. This is taught through discrete sessions which are additional to daily English sessions.
Further curriculum information
This page provides a summary of our school’s curriculum, if you would like more information about the curriculum at Alban Wood please contact the school office.